Most back pain gradually improves with home treatment and self-care, usually within a few weeks. If your back pain worsens over time, visit your surgeon to seek advice.
Seek immediate attention if your back pain:
- Causes new bowel or bladder problems.
- Is accompanied by fever.
- Follows a fall, blow to your back or other injury.
- Spreads down one or both legs, especially if the pain extends below the knee.
- Causes weakness, numbness or tingling in one or both legs.
- Is accompanied by unexplained weight loss.